Brookhaven, NY town law department break in to my home. They wanted to know if I had tenants.Was this legal?

Middle Island, NY |

Brookhaven Town Investiagator, from the law dept said he had permission. Roommate sitting outside, under sworn statement they had not.Told him not to walk in,when he opened the door. Says, why would they allow someone in their home not knowing who he was. NO ID? Just a shirt stating LAW ENFORCEMENT. Was this ok? or was it not legal? They didn't call police as they thought he was police officer.But even a police officer can not walk into your home. We called the police and explain that he broke into my home, refused to do anything. Fence 97% around home, does that allow him entrance to my yard? Or is this? Police refused to do anything

It is unclear from the facts presented, I would suggest you contact a civil rights attorney to review your claims. Alternatively, I would contact your local ACLU office.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. Thank you and good luck.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law