Broke off engagement who gets ring?

Yuma, AZ |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

I broke of my engagement due to my fiancé cheating, lying, porn addiction, and treating me like dirt. I was ready to go forward with the marriage until I caught him in all of that and I have a witness to the asking of my hand in marriage where a stated promises which he broke by cheating and lying. So by breaking those promises did he break the verbal contract of marriage? In the state of Ca who would get the ring?

I just moved to Az but was asked for my hand in CA.

1. Generally speaking (I am licensed to practice only in Arizona), an engagement ring is a gift given in contemplation of marriage. The "gift" is not complete until the marriage happens, so if the engagement is broken off (regardless of which person breaks it off or why), the ring should be returned.

** This response is provided as general information only and does not constitute legal advice or otherwise establish an attorney client relationship. **

Marriage and prenups topics