Broke my leg when a neighbor dog chased me. what should I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

Me & my husband went for a walk last evening inside our apartment premises. A lady let loose her dog when she parked her car and open the door to get down. the dog came chasing behind me & my husband and when it tried to jump on me, I moved back & got my ankles twisted and fell down. My sandals came out when I fell down & the dog started bitting it. The pet owner didn't try to catch the dog but was vocally shouting "Stop". She walked right in to her apartment (1st floor) & the dog followed her. She never apologized to me nor came back to check if I was ok. On falling down I got my ankle swollen and fractured my small finger (leg). Went to Urgent care and they took X-Ray & gave boot shoe and crutches to walk. I am asked to take rest & not to walk for 2 weeks. what legal action can I take?

1. Benjamin Harris Van Steinburgh

Pro

5

Answered . You certainly should speak to a personal injury attorney about pursuing a claim against the owner.

Pro

4

Answered . You can retain a personal injury lawyer in your state to investigate a claim.

3. David Ian Schoen

Pro

3

1

Answered . You can probably bring a claim against the dog's owner. Consult a local personal injury attorney..

4. James Robert Faucher

Pro

1

Answered . You may have a claim. There are things that need to be investigated by an experienced local personal injury lawyer: (1) were there any prior incidents involving this dog that would have put the owner on notice of its dangerous propensities; and (2) are there any local laws or ordinances that require the dog to be on a leash or otherwise restrained.

5. Michael R Crosner

2

Answered . Consult a local personal injury attorney - most offer free consultations. I am a California attorney not licensed or familiar with NC law. Her dog was not on a leash - contact attorney ASAP to protect your rights.

6. Matthew C Simon

Pro

2

Answered . Seek a consult with a personal injury attorney ASAP. You may have a claim against the dog owner and/or her homeowners insurance. Good luck.