Broke lease and landlord threatening to garnish my wages

I had problems with landlord from the beginning. She would shut off the heat(this was between Jan and Feb!) amongst other things. I wanted to leave but decided to stick it out. Well, I found out that her condo association forbids renters! Met her condo board prez by accident doing laundry and she was surprised I was renting the apt! Condo board prez even had condo association lawyer send a cease and desist to stop renting. Long story short, I told landlord I would be moving and she agreed verbally. 1 month later I get a letter from her saying she'd be garnishing my wages. . So confused and scared. Am I still liable to pay rent for an apartment I was never allowed to live in from the beginning? I can't afford to pay my current rent and my old apt rent.

Chicago, IL -

Adam J. Lysinski

Adam J. Lysinski

Bankruptcy Attorney - Chicago, IL

Based on what you wrote, I would not worry about this too much. It sounds like your old landlord might have issues with the condo association, and potentially violated the Chicago Landlord Tenant Ordinance, which would entitle you to a counter claim. I don’t think you will be hearing from your landlord, but you can always check the circuit clerk’s website or call 312-603-5030 to find out if a case has been open against you. Good Luck.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Mokena, IL

Your landlord cannot simply garnish your wages. She has to go to court and get a money judgment against you. You would be notified of this proceeding and given a chance to defend yourself. Try to relax. Nothing can happen behind your back. You should consult an attorney so you are better prepared to deal with this problem,

Marc Gregory Wagman

Marc Gregory Wagman

Bankruptcy Attorney - Chicago, IL

Agreed I wouldn't worry to much about this. The landlord can't just start garnishing your wages without filing a lawsuit and winning the suit. You have a valid defense for breaching the lease as it was prohibited by the condo association and the landlord shouldn't have been renting in the first place. If you do get sued by chance, hire a lawyer to defend against the suit or defend against it. My guess would be that the landlord won't sue because of this defense. In addition, the landlord breached the lease by turning off the heat and you could sue for damages for that if the property was in Chicago. You can get damages. Hope this helps....

Related Advice