Bringing children of spouse of US Citizen from overseas

Asked over 4 years ago - Gaithersburg, MD

I need to know, how do I bring my two children here to the US? I just got married to my US citizen spouse and in the process of appling for my IR greencard. Is there a special visa they qualify for to be able to come into the US and so I can process their greencards faster from here?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Matthew Rice Glinsmann


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Your US Citizen spouse must sponsor each child separately since they do not gain derivative status from your case. This assumes that the children were under 18 at the time of the marriage. In most cases they will need to be sponsored while they are outside of the US and will not be permitted to come the US beforehand. The US Citizen Sponsor will also need to show the ability to support all members of the family. If you have more questions or wish to discuss your case in more detail, you should consider meeting with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,410 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,410 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering