Briefly, I discovered a fake charity online and brought their activities to light. Ever since, they've harassed me...

Hereford, AZ |

As stated, I discovered a fake charity. While they ARE registered as a non-profit in their state, they've never had a 501(c)3. As they prey on the military and have sold thousands of dollars of merchandise under the guise of, "We're fundraising for these two veteran charities", I brought their activities to light. Ever since, the corporate officers have harassed me, tried to damage my reputation as a journalist and there have been two direct threats from USAF Active Duty personnel using official channels.

In addition, one of the directors of the corp. has directed her underlings to harass me, too, of which I have proof. A majority of this was done using computers belonging to a major bank, seemingly with their blessing. Is this actionable?

And, yes, I've contacted the USAF and filed complaints with the IG. They've opted to ignore it in, I'm sure in the hopes it will go away. (The two active duty members are deeply involved with this fake charity and gain a great deal of notoriety for being involved to the extent they ignore their official duties as recruiters at the command level)

1. Your question begs many further questions from we who answer these posts. My best advice to you is to contact a local attorney and discuss the problem and see what solutions they propose.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

2. They can be a non profit but not a 501(c)(3). That means they will have to pay taxes but they can fundraise and sell merchandise and use the surplus for purposes consistent with a non profit. If they are specifically misrepresenting themselves as a 501(c)(3) report them to the IRS. If you have threats from USAF personnel, contact the USAF Inspector general's office.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.