Breathalyzer

Akron, OH |

I was arrested by the highway patrol. Are they supposed to take more than one breath test for accuracy? I was given only one and am worried I may not have done it right. I blew lightly for a "constant" stream and the trooper had me blow for a while.

1. Generally, no. However, one must know what kind of machine is being used. You need an attorney who is familliar with the various BAC machines that are in use by Ohio Law enforcement. Each has it's own theory of testing, weakness and strengths.

OVI is a very serious charge. It is enhancable in that the penalites for later violations become more severe, if one is convicted more than one time (within a defined period of time). There are manditory minimum sentences that no judge can change once you are convicted.

If you have an attorney listen to him or her. If you do not have an attorney GET ONE. I being local to you have a humble suggestion . . .

Look around Avvo for other attorneys by comparison. Click the button below to mark this as good answer if you found it helpful.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065. Thank you

2. Oho is a single breath test state, like West Virginia where I am licensed. This is not an ideal testing scenario for any credible scientist to follow, but as they say, it's good enough for government work! The other answer given to you is sound - many things that have absolutely nothing to do with alcohol or alcohol consumption impact the outcome of the breath test and overall DUI investigation, so you need a qualified DUI lawyer to advise you of your options. Don't try to tackle this on your own - that is the biggest mistake you could make. Hire an experienced DUI attorney and follow his/her advice.

3. That is the million dollar question! If you were tested on an Intoxilyzer 8000 you would have been tested twice. If you were tested on an Intoxilyzer 5000 or a DataMaster, you would have been tested only once. Does this appear to be a violation of equal protection or due process? It sure does, however getting a court in Ohio to say so may be a whole different story. Currently, the law in Ohio allows one blow on certain instruments and 2 blows on another. You need to hire the services of an attorney willing to make a challenge to the different treatment for different individuals.