Skip to main content

Breakup with a joint tenant deed

Brooklyn, NY |

I bought a house with boyfriend 3 years ago. He pushed to get a deed done as joint tenant with survivorship. I put $150k as down payment and he put $50k. We each pay half of the mortgage and maintenance. Now we are breaking up. The house is below the purchase value. He wants $100k, otherwise he will sue me. Will judge grant him $100k?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    A partition action would have to be commenced. There will either be a forced sale or one of you could buy out the other's interest out. If an action is commenced, then you and your former boyfriend will each put proof into evidence regarding your initial contributions and what payments were made on the mortgage. Once that proof has been put into evidence, the judge will decide how the proceeds of any sale will be split or what his interest would be in you retained the property.

  2. No way to know for sure what a judge will do, however, assuming you can prove the amounts each party put in and that expenses were split equally the most likely outcome is that in a suit for parrtition there would be a forced sale of the premises. You would each get back your initial investment (if there are enough funds from proceeds of the sale) and then split any equity equally.

    This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

  3. An attorney would have to see all of the documents and any communications between you and the ex to determine what relief you may be entitled to.

    You would have an equitable argument to a disproportionate share of the sale proceeds.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics