Breakup after 17 year relationship; am I entitled to anything?

Adams, MA |

My boyfriend left me after a 17 year relationship (lived together in my home, both in our 50s, no children together)....am I entitled to any benefits similar to marriage/divorce? By the way I have loaned him between $40-$60k to keep his business afloat over the years and he has not paid me a penny...

1. Massachusetts is not a common law marraige state. But, you might be able to get your loan money back if you can show it was a loan and not a gift.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com

2. As noted by my colleague, Massachusetts does not recognize common law marriage, nor are alimony or division of assets an issue where the parties were never married. However, you may be able to file a claim in equity against your ex-boyfriend for monies loaned as opposed to gifted to him. You should speak with an attorney local to your area about this.

Best wishes.

No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside, particularly as it relates to family law, child support, custody and visitation (a/k/a "parenting time") issues, including 209A abuse-prevention restraining orders (a/k/a "ROs" in legal-speak), regarding un-emancipated children, under the age of 22.

3. If you have some documentation or evidence about the loan, you might be able to get that back. That is potentially a complex off the contract remedy. Seek a specific consultation with an attorney for this.

MA does not recognize common law marriage.

4. You can certainly pursue a claim against him for the money "loaned" if it was actually a loan and you can prove that fact. Typically, in these situations money "loaned" is never memorialized in any sort of loan or repayment documents. The fact that you give a range of "$40-$60k" as the loan amount leads me to believe that you don't really know how much you gave him and don't have any loan or repayment documents. And, as he has not paid you a penny over the "years" would also lead me to believe that these funds were never treated like a loan. Then, before your waste time to bring a legal action, you have to look at the issue if he is able to even repay you the money. Because you could bring a legal action against him for the loaned amount, but will he ever be able to pay it anyway? You may want to get together any documents that you have evidencing the loan and speak with an attorney.

The information contained in any answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject material. No recipients of answers should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any posting without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue with an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this Web site and/or any answers provided contains information that may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. FAMILYLEGAL, and Attorney Runge, expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this site. Any information sent via the Internet, this website, or e-mail is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. The transmission of information on this website, in part or in whole, and/or communication with FAMILYLEGAL, and/or Attorney Runge, via e-mail through this site does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship between FAMILYLEGAL and any recipients. The formation of an attorney-client relationship requires a consideration of multiple factors including possible conflicts of interest. Please do not convey to us any information you regard as confidential until a formal attorney-client relationship has been established. The Firm does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party that may be accessed through this Web site. Permission is given for the downloading and temporary storage of one or more of these pages for the purposes of viewing on a personal computer. The contents of this site are protected by copyright and, apart from the permission stated, the reproduction, permanent storage, or retransmission of the contents of this site is prohibited without the prior written consent of FAMILYLEGAL. ATTORNEY ADVERTISING NOTICE FAMILYLEGAL is a national Law Firm. Jeffrey A. Runge is the President & CEO and is licensed to practice law in the states of New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Prior Results do not guarantee a similar outcome. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for Bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. FAMILYLEGAL is a registered trademark of Family Legal Service, P.C., a New Hampshire professional Corporation.