Skip to main content

Breaking a court ordered no contact.

Joliet, IL |

My bf has a court ordered no contact with me because he is being charged with aggervated battery. I'm pregnant with his son so we have been trying to make things work, and he has still been living with me. Well the other day we got into an argument and he made me leave our home and wouldn't let me get my things, so I called the police so he had no choice but to let me but by the time the police got there he had left, I told them I didn't want to make a police report, just wanted my things so I can leave. Since there was no proof he was there, because he had left, will he get introuble because I made that phone call?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes, there is a great risk that his bond on the aggravated battery charge may be revoked and he would be incarcerated until the disposition of the criminal case. The real problem is his continued contact despite a court order that there be no contact. "No contact" means--no contact, period.
    Please refer to the helpful Avvo guide by Brian Polinske--link appears below.

    The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

  2. If there is a court order for no contact, then there should be NO CONTACT. The fact that you allowed contact only helped your boyfriend violate the order. He can now be in more trouble than he was previously. The law is not concerned about your working things out. The law is concerned with enforcing the terms of the no contact order and the bond. Stop enabling him Stop allowing yourself to be a victim. Both of you need help. There is proof your boyfriend was there because you called the police and told them.

  3. Yeah, he probably will get into trouble -- let's hope so -- it'll be a good thing for the both of you. You need help. You're obviously in an abusive relationship. The biggest problem Family Law attorneys have with women in abusive relationships is having a client who will let the law work for her to protect her and her children. Most abused women can't do it. Studies show it takes and abused woman, on average, seven false starts before she actually initiates contact with the legal system (calling the cops doesn't count -- going to court is what they're talking about).

    So, look at your situation: He's got a AB charge and a no contact order. What do you do? You let him back in the house to LIVE with you day-in-day-out. In contravention of the court's specific order, you violated it . . . and did so on a daily basis. I get that the order is not applied to you, only to him, but you get the idea.

    So, there was some episode that caused the court to become involved in the first place and issue the No Contact order, then there was this most recent event where he threw out on the street his pregnant GF with no possessions and refused to help her. MOST IMPORTANTLY: the abuse continued until it got to a point where you couldn't take it anymore, called the police (again) for help, AND THEN TOLD THEM YOU DIDN'T WANT TO FILE A POLICE REPORT. Yours is a classic case of abuse. Below is a link to an article on Battered Woman Syndrome. Read it . . . and get the help you need for yourself and for your baby.

    So, what do you want to do at this point? Here's a guy who has clearly committed abuse of his (pregnant) GF . . . and what do you want to do? What's the most important thing to you? Your top priority, it seems, is to make sure he doesn't get into trouble and you can preserve the possibility of connecting with him, again. Can you start to see you have a problem? I mean, a psychological problem. You need help. Feel free to call my office -- 312-987-9999 -- for a referral to a qualified abuse counselor.