Breach of contract-Urgent!

New Brunswick, NJ |

Hi,

I have a breach of contract issue where some IT vendor did not pay my employer. My employer is in mid-west and they gave me a power of attorney to fight in NJ superior court on their behalf. How does that work? Who signs the paperwork, who is the plaintiff etc..How does one handle this in NJ superior court as representing someone as power of attorney?

1. Unless you are an attorney, you can't represent a corporation in New Jersey courts. Hire a lawyer. Good luck.

A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is informational only. Allan E. Richardson, Esq. arichardson@employmentlaw-nj.com Richardson, Galella & Austermuhl 142 Emerson ST., Woodbury, NJ 08096 856-579-7045.

2. Power of attorney doesn't make any sense in this case. Your employer should hire an attorney in their area to advise them.

3. Your safest and best course of action is to immediately hire an attorney. Breach of contract issues have a statute of limitations so it is important to file suit as soon as possible.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or adam@LefkowitzLawOffice.com. If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on avvo.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

4. I agree with my colleagues. A non-lawyer cannot represent a Company in Court. Your employer needs to hire an attorney in New Jersey (even if to just review the contract and discuss/write an opinion letter). Many attorneys, such as myself, offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.