Skip to main content

Breach of Contract on Real Estate?

Hemet, CA |

My partner and I signed a contract to take over a mortgage. It states we are to refinance at our first opportunity. We were never put on title so it would have had to be a purchase. They were upside down and were going to walk away from the home. We paid for over 3 years with no opportunity to do a purchase or a refi. Now my partner has died and I was told I need to close this deal. I said I could do it by December 1st and now am being evicted because they are selling the property. they have a lawyer and I do not.

I guess what I need to know it worth it to try to save the house and stay in it? Or is there a way to go for a monetary value for breach of contract. I would also have pain and suffering for other issues connected to this issue. If anyone reasonable can help me out I would appreciate it. Or at least help to let me know which direction I should be heading.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You have not asked a question, despite your question mark. You need to consult an attorney to determine what legal or equitable rights you may have in the property. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>


Wasn't sure what exactly you are asking. I agree with attorney Daymude you need to hire an attorney. You mention they are represented which puts you in a disadvantage. So level the playing field and seek consultation so at least you know what you would be up against. Good luck.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.


First, the question of whether or not you should fight to buy the property. I see no value in doing so. If the property is over-encumbered, then you're paying too much for the home unless it is a short-sale. Your post doesn't mention that you can do so. Second, in terms of pursuing the current owners for pain and suffering, you should know that their breach of the contract to sell you the home, assuming that there is an enforceable contract to begin with, is just that - breach of contract. There are no "tort" type damages available for breach of contract. I would suggest just walking away from the deal as being bad, and move on to bigger and better things. Also, I'm not sure when it happened, but my condolences on the loss of your partner.

David L. Gibbs, Esq.
The Gibbs Law Firm, APC
San Clemente, California

*Due to the limitations of the Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. Further, information you provide to the Firm through this website is not confidential - it is available publicly to anyone visiting this website. The Firm shall have no obligation to keep the information you provide herein confidential in any context. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. §528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

David Lawrence Gibbs

David Lawrence Gibbs


Sorry - one add-on to the response. The monetary value of breach of contract in a case such as this is likely to be nominal, to nothing if the "deal" you struck was to buy an over-encumbered house. I hope this helps.



the home is no longer over encumbered....I paid the mortgage for over 3 years until the value came back. Now they are selling it out from under me for a profit. I was in the hospital for a month and they came to visit me. They know I had a nervous breakdown and just lost my partner. So they are causing me further stress. As for the contract I have it states I have to refi at the first opportunity which I have only had recently. they gave me 4 days from the time I got out of the hospital. Doesn't seem quite fair. The letter I received said they wanted to allow me to buy the home because again they were going to walk away. I believe it was the lawyer who convinced them to sell it out from under me when I would have had it in my name by December first. Hope the additional info helps


Mike is correct you need an in-depth consultation

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer