Brain damaged daughter

Asked almost 5 years ago - Lexington, KY

My daughter suffered an aneurysm a few years back. Her husband has taken care of her all these years, but now he has a girl friend and has filed for divorce What are my daughters options. Will she have a court appointed lawyer to make sure she gets what is due her, or will he just keep everything?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Court appointed lawyers come in criminal cases.

    In this situation, you might contact a local bar association in Lexington to see if a referral attorney might take on the case.

    Then once you get a referral contact the local lawyer for your daughter to discuss your specifics. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me.

    Good luck to you.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the non-KY lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed KY professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

  2. Elizabeth Taylor Herd


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am not licensed in KY and can offer you only general advice. In additon to the information already posted, I wondered if your daughter had suffered a loss of mental capacity that prevents her from making her own decisions? If this is the case, you should certainly let any attorney that you consult know, as well as the Court since the husband has filed. If you daughter does not have capacity to make her own decisions, a guardian may have to be appointed. Bring these issues up when you speak to the Bar. Also, in some states there is a state run brain and spinal cord injury program. If such a program exists in KY you may also get some assistance in finding an attorney to help through that program.

    Good luck
    Betsey Herd
    Tampa, Florida

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,822 answers this week

2,788 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,822 answers this week

2,788 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary