Skip to main content

Boyfriend Became Out Of Status After Transferring Colleges; F-1 Visa

Owosso, MI |

He transferred to a University after Graduating from his Community College to finish his degree. He still has 1 more year of College, so he should still be in status. However, something happened in the process when transferring Colleges. His current College is able to see his status but he cannot. He was told by, I believe an adviser, that he was out of status and they don't know what happened. He is going to speak with a lawyer next week and the College. What could have happened?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


He may or may not be able to reinstate.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


There must have been an oversight or mistake. Your attorney may want to make a FOIA request [your entire immigration file] to investigate where the error was made and try and correct it.

Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your specific situation. Our posting is intended to provide general information of interest to the public. Facts relevant to your situation and not disclosed in your posting may affect your specific legal rights and remedies.



About how long do you think it would take to get that information back on what happened after filing for FOIA?

Husna F. Alikhan

Husna F. Alikhan


Currently, FOIA requests are taking approximately four months.



Can you apply for FOIA on your own, without a lawyer?


Reinstatement will be difficult and outcome uncertain based on these facts.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer