Skip to main content

Boyfriend applied for a job, back ground was done by a 3rd party, how do we search the court records ourselves?

Tacoma, WA |

OK , this company send him a list of things he was " charged " with . There are several in which aren't true / inaccurate . They will not back up this information with anything from the courts . I've gone on the MINX site , searched his name and paid for another company to pull a background and all that comes up is his DUI and resisting arrest ( during the DUI ) from 2009 . Is there a way ON LINE to get copies of his whole record to give to the employer ? Other wise he's missing out on a great job ( which we need ) because the company they hired doesn't do their job correctly .

Attorney Answers 1

  1. It sounds like the problem may be "non-conviction data"...not all arrests/charges are pursued by the prosecutor, but the records remain--other agencies besides the courts keep records that may be reported on background checks. If he hasn't already, he should start with a WATCH report:

    Also, the Washington ACLU has some great guides about how to obtain and understand criminal history reports, and understanding employment rights relating to criminal history report:
    If those aren't enough, he should consult with an attorney about getting this all cleared up.

    Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Use of the Avvo Q&A forum does not create any attorney-client relationship.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics