Boyfriend = physically abused by father & afraid he is going to kill himself. We are both 17. what can we do to pay 4 college?

Asked 8 months ago - Fair Lawn, NJ

Hes afraid to leave because he needs his fathers income to pay for an education. What can we do?

1. Jennifer Judy Donnelly

Pro

Answered . Much more information is needed to answer your questions. For instance, college contribution is usually spelled out in a divorce judgment/property settlement agreement. Are his parents divorced? If so, is there an agreement that addresses who pays for the children's college expenses? What do you mean by "he needs his father's income?" Is his father's name on college loans? I suggest first and foremost that your boyfriend remove himself from a violent situation and seek help from a trained mental health professional. I also suggest he have a consultation with an attorney immediately. You also raise issues of domestic violence and the possible need for a restraining order. Again, he should seek legal advice.

2. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

Answered . Talk to a school counselor or teacher to address the physical abuse. Without more information, there is no way to address your other questions, but you should immediately seek help at your school if abuse is taking place.

3. Curtis James Romanowski

Pro

Answered . The information you have provided is far too scant to competently respond to. Abuse can be addressed by your friend to school officials.

4. Helen Louise Glass

Answered . The others are correct - you really need to give more information before a legal solution can be found -
    I am responding because you say you are afraid that your bf will kill himself. Please take this seriously and seek counseling for him at school, church or on one of the many hotlines. Suicide is horrible and if your bf has threatened it, or is talking about "ending it all" or has made similar comments, you should seek advice right away.
    Also he may be able to report the abuse to New Jersey Department of Children and Families (Formerly called DYFS) and obtain some protection.