Boy is indian citizen and hindu, married in india, now in US on H1B visa, wife never came to USA want help on divorce

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

I am H1B Visa holder, I had arranged marriage and after marriage I came to know that my wife got married because of her parents pressure. When she appear for H4 Visa she got 221G Query, though she was carrying all required documents which consulate mention in 221G form. I found out that she is not serious and interested in this marriage. After investigating I found that she had affair before marriage, which she continued after marriage also when I come back to USA to resume my job. I had evidence of her affairs and now i want to apply for divorce. Is it possible for me to get Divorce here without going back to India.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to check with a family law attorney in the state where you reside.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  2. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, absolutely. And it will be much faster than the time it would take in Hindustan. Make sure to consult with and hopefully hire a divorce lawyer in your town.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It is really complicated and might not be recognized in India if you try to do a divorce in the US.

    I think you're better off hiring a lawyer in India.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Contact a domestic relations (divorce) attorney in you state of residence.


    Robert Brown LLC
    1476 W. 9th Street, Suite 800
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,189 answers this week

3,642 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,189 answers this week

3,642 attorneys answering