Bought car, private seller, cant get title! What should i do?

Panguitch, UT |

I bought a car from a private seller, I have a bill of sell with signatures but I never received the title. I have persistently asked and he said he would mail it as I do not live close to the seller, but this was never done.
Please Help!

Maybe you will have to drive over and get the title. Without the title, you don't own anything. In most states, the only way a person can have a legal interest in a motor vehicle is if their name is on the vehicle title. Nothing else counts. That means you have to have a title to be the owner. It also means that you can’t sell a car without having the title in your name either. If you buy a car and never get title to it, then in most states you have the right to cancel the sale and get your money back. If you bought a vehicle from a private person (not a car dealer) and have not gotten the title yet, then the first thing to do is contact them and ask where it is and when you will get it. If you don’t want to wait any longer then you may already have the right to cancel the sale since failing to deliver the title to the buyer would be a breach of the sale contract. In fact, to find out what all of this means in your situation and in your state you really need to talk to a local Consumer Law attorney near you. Call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Consumer Law attorney near you or you can go to this web site page for a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers ( and find one near you (lawyers don’t pay to get listed here and most of them are members of the only national association for Consumer Law lawyers, But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to a Consumer Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a thumbs up review below. Thanks. Ron Burdge,

Vehicle title topics

Recommended articles about Vehicle title