Bought a used car, paid for it in full, asked for title, seller said I owed $800 more in late fees & int; which I paid under

Asked over 1 year ago - Piedmont, AL

duress. Still no title, seller said before he could give me the title he needed to the change mileage on the car. I know that this is illegal, but he thinks that I am ignorant of this fact. I am a young black female. He is a prominent, white male and former county deputy and former fire chief. I went to local law enforcement who refused to do any thing.

1. Cameron Lee Hogan

Answered . More information is needed to determine the proper course of action. Was the seller a dealer or an individual selling a personal vehicle? Was there a bill of sale executed? What was the purchase price of the vehicle?

2. A. Wilson Webb

Answered . Your contract controls. If it provides for Late fees, then these may be charged if you have been late, even by one day. I urge you to meet with a competent consumer rights attorney. I will evaluate your case at no charge, but you must provide the contract docs and proof of payments to the Seller.

3. Lois R Beasley-Carlisle

Pro

Answered . Sounds like you might need to sue him for fraud but before knowing that I would have to see all the documents involved. The other attorney was correct in if you are late making payments you could have a situation where you have late fees and interest charges.