Bought a used car, paid for it in full, asked for title, seller said I owed $800 more in late fees & int; which I paid under

Piedmont, AL |

duress. Still no title, seller said before he could give me the title he needed to the change mileage on the car. I know that this is illegal, but he thinks that I am ignorant of this fact. I am a young black female. He is a prominent, white male and former county deputy and former fire chief. I went to local law enforcement who refused to do any thing.

1. More information is needed to determine the proper course of action. Was the seller a dealer or an individual selling a personal vehicle? Was there a bill of sale executed? What was the purchase price of the vehicle?

2. Your contract controls. If it provides for Late fees, then these may be charged if you have been late, even by one day. I urge you to meet with a competent consumer rights attorney. I will evaluate your case at no charge, but you must provide the contract docs and proof of payments to the Seller.

No attorney-client relationship exists or is created by the answering of questions on Avvo or by any email communications resulting from Avvo unless and until a written contract creating such a relationship is executed by both the attorney and the client.

3. Sounds like you might need to sue him for fraud but before knowing that I would have to see all the documents involved. The other attorney was correct in if you are late making payments you could have a situation where you have late fees and interest charges.

There are many factors that can affect how best to handle this matter and the best advise is usually to hire an attorney immediately. Unfortunately the advice above is a guess that is based on very scanty facts. Circumstances of all sorts can change the ultimate answer you need. If you want to know how best to handle the situation, make an appointment with an attorney and get good solid advise based on more exact facts. The money spent might give you the peace of mind you need. The information provided is not intended as legal advice that can be relied on in part because we do not have the entire the situation. No Attorney/Client relationship is intended, implied or created. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.