Boss selling business. Unemployment questions

Warren, OH |

New company offering me job with $18,000 drop in salary and I must sign non compete. Non compete would mean if it does not work out, I could not go to another insurance agency to work.

What is your question?

This response contemplates only the laws of Ohio and is not intended to apply to other jurisdictions. None of the information in this response should be used or relied upon as legal advice or legal opinion about specific matters, facts, situations or issues. Viewing it does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and Sherrille D. Akin, the law firm of Isaac, Brant, Ledman & Teetor LLP, or any of its individual attorneys

As Ms. Akin notes, you don't actually ask a question. If your intended question deals with the non-compete agreement, such agreements are generally enforceable to the extent that they are reasonable both in duration and in geographic area.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as rendering legal advice involves the ability of the attorney to ask appropriate questions of the person seeking such advice and to thus gather appropriate information. In addition, an attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement. The purpose of this answer is to provide the questioner with general information, not to outline specific legal rights and remedies.

In Ohio, in my opinion, non-competes are "the devil's workshop". There may be some serious consequences if you breach the agreement. You really need to hire an attorney who has a knowledge of these things and give you an opinion on its enforceability as well as the possibility of collecting unemployment if you do not sign and are terminated.

This post is not meant to: 1) contain my signature; 2) contain legal advice; 3) create an attorney/client relationship; or 4) guarantee confidentiality.

Recommended articles about Employment