Skip to main content

Borrowed money to someone and they haven't paid me back

Des Plaines, IL |

I borrowed a friend 5 grand with no written agreement other then messages sent between each other with her agreeing that she will pay me back...But, with not set time in mind. Can I sue?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Send a written demand for payment. If she refuses to pay or engage in some repayment schedule advise that the next step is small claims court. Then, if needed, make good on your threat and sue her in small claims court.

A loan does not necessarily require a writing.

Please note that this answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or an offer to form an attorney-client relationship. It is always advisable to seek the help of an attorney licensed in your state before proceeding on any legal matter. Please feel free to contact me with the information listed below. Good luck! Napleton Law, Ltd. 312.255.0115


Get bacj ti wirk

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein




A demand letter from a lawyer is usually a cost-effective option. Ultimately you can sue in small claims court if she refuses to pay.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer