Border Crossing into Canada/Immigration-New TRP Law. Can I legally cross into Canada under this relaxed new law?

Detroit, MI |

When I was 22, I was arrested for an OWI in Utica, MI on November 28, 2010. The charges were later lowered to an OWVI on March 3, 2011, and I was given no jail time, license was restricted for 90 days, no community service, and Non-Reporting probation for a year. In Feb 2012, my case was closed early due to good behavior, and I have not been in any criminal trouble, or minor trouble since.
My question is, I understand Canada deems me criminally inadmissible. I understand there is a new law, that allows Americans to enter with a criminal record as long as they only have had 1 conviction and no jail time- Only Once. Will I legally be able to cross into the country? I have a MI Enhanced License. If I want to visit friends again, will I have to apply for temp residence permit? Thank you!

1. This is a Canadian Immigration Question. The issue is whether you have an indictable offense based upon Canadian Immigration Law.

This forum is more often for attorneys, who are licensed to practice U. S. Immigration Law. You may want to seek a referral to a Canadian licensed immigration attorney. I am not sure whether one will comment on this forum.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

2. Attorneys on Avvo practice US law. They cannot advise you on the laws and requirements of other countries.

You need to contact an attorney in the country in question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.