Book by Tom Baker says that no malpractice lawsuit can occur under $250k damages, is this true?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

so everyone injured by hospitals under $250k have to pay out themselves for doctor's bills themselves.

1. John David Kelner

6

Answered . Yes and no. Here's an explanation I wrote for many other responses which you may find interesting.

I am typing this to copy and paste to so many questions which deserve an answer but for which many attorneys may not take the time to respond.

Most of the questions begin with “Can I sue for .....?”

That’s not really the question you are asking. What you really want to know is whether some attorney will undertake your claim at their expense and on a contingent fee so that you pay nothing unless the attorney wins.

That must be the question being asked because anyone can sue for just about anything they perceive as a wrong if they want to pay an attorney to do it. The problem is finances. It may not be productive to spend a large amount of time and a lot of money to risk a chance of recovery of a small amount.

So this is the answer to all of those questions and I will post this over and over in response.

Every litigation case costs money and time to pursue. Medical negligence cases can take hundreds of hours if not thousands. The costs (money needed to be laid out by the attorney) can be tens of thousands of dollars if not far more than $100,000 at times (depending on the case). And NO case is a guaranteed win. So to take that risk attorneys need to have a significant amount of damages and fault which is somewhat clear.

Loss of life, a limb, a bodily function, one of the 5 senses all qualify as significant. Even then the legislature has prohibited pain and suffering claims for the death of a parent by adult children in most cases.

Nothing in this response should be considered as a lack of empathy. If a surgeon leaves an instrument inside you and has to re-operate to take it out and there are no damages other than the second surgery, it’s likely too small to handle by most – seek legal advice. None of this note belittles the fear and pain of patients who are wronged. Their fear and pain is genuine.

It’s common to pick on the attorneys – until you need one. Remember that next time someone screams TORT REFORM. The legislature and courts (with Republican Governor appointments to the Courts) have TORT REFORMED more people out of pursuing real (but small) claims. That’s my view.

2. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

5

Answered . The reason for this is that the costs of medical malpractice cases is a deterrent to bringing suits unless the damages are larger. Especially when you consider that the medical bills are usually taken out of the settlement through liens by insurance carriers, often making the case less than financially viable.

Of course there are many exceptions and variations based on each state's law.

See a local attorney to see if you have a case worth pursuing

Best of luck

3. Charles B. Upton II

3

Answered . It's not true, but it is hard to find an attorney when the damages are lower.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

2

Answered . In Florida, because of the expense of these lawsuits, you will not find a competent lawyer to take a medical malpractice case if the likely damages are under $250,000. In fact, the threshold is probably higher than that.

A possible exception might be a case in which the client pays the litigation expenses

5. David Hughes Harris

Pro

Answered . I haven't read that book. In practical terms, however, most malpractice cases which go forward do have catastrophic injuries at issue, such that the potential recovery of compensation would far exceed the amount of $250K.

Malpractice litigation is very challenging, and in most contingent fee agreements, the lawyer takes a huge financial risk that the amount which is recoverable will adequately compensate the client, cover all case costs (e.g. experts, medical records, depositions, witness fees, jury consultant, etc.) which have been paid up front by the lawyer, and pay the lawyer for his/her time and effort. These financial risks are often tens of thousands of dollars, and in the most complex cases, it is common for expenses to reach into 6-figure case expenses.

In addition, there are usually significant outstanding medical bills or health insurance liens which have to be paid back, on behalf of the client.

Any experienced lawyer will look at these expenses, as well as what is the best possible outcome, or recovery, for the patient/client. When dealing with a very limited pool of funds, such as $250K, an attorney can see that it may be very difficult, if not impossible, to make sure the client is adequately compensated while all of the big expenses to prosecute the case, outstanding bills, etc.

So, as some counsel have mentioned here, an injured patient may have a very difficult time finding a lawyer to take on a malpractice case where they may be realistically limited to recovering $250K for the patient, costs, counsel fees. Every case turns on its facts, however, so depending on circumstances, one might still find a lawyer to pursue the claim.