Blew a 0.0 on a DUI however controlled substiences we're in my urine

Asked about 2 years ago - Punta Gorda, FL

I have a previous DUI from 2006 when I was just 19 and my driving record includes quite a few tickets however this particular situation the cop aggressively followed me and pulled me over for failing to stop at a stop sign which i defiantly recall stopping at either way in the car there were open containers and another passenger which they belong to I preformed the field sobriety test however he made me preform them multiple times at this point I became very aggravated and got a little rude with the cop demanding he let me blow to prove I had nothing to drink (no clue he was going to arrest me in order to blow) I was placed under arrest charged with a DUI at the jail I blew a 0.0 but my urine came back with controlled substiences from days before

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Anthony Rubino

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Testing positive for a controlled substance can be the basis for a DUI charge. Any substance that affects your normal faculties may be considered by a jury.

    You definitely need to consider retaining a skilled criminal defense attorney to help you fight this charge. This would be considered a 2nd DUI outside of 5 years from the 1st. Therefore, it could result in enhanced penalties but not a mandatory jail sentence.

    Best of luck.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more
  2. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Controlled substances in your urine can show that your normal faculties were impaired. Get an attorney to fight this.

  3. Zachary Cooper

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In most states a controlled substance is just as bad as alcohol in your system. I reccomend that you contact a DUI attorney from your state ASAP to see if there is anything you can do to fight these charges or mitigate what you may be looking at.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,528 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,528 answers this week

3,270 attorneys answering