Black Powder Firearms

Lebanon, PA |
Filed under: Civil rights

I live in Pennsylvania, and I understand that contrary to federal law, Pennsylvania considers black powder muzzleloaders firearms.

I have no felonies, but in 1996 I entered a guilty plea to simple assault. On the bottom of my docket I payed 10 dollars to "Domestic Violence Compensation (Act 44 of 1988) I'm aware of the Lautenberg Amendment, and I have never tried to purchase a gun as a result of this conviction 15 years ago. I'm not looking to try and restore my federal gun rights. I would like to know if it's possible to have my record cleared in Pennsylvania, so that under federal law, I could at least own muzzleloaders. I'm going to assume that because I paid into the domestic violence compensation act, it's clearly a domestic violence related misdemeanor, and I will fail NCIS check

1. Your question relates to expungement. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to expunge a criminal conviction in Pennsylvania unless you meet two very important criteria. You must be at least 70 years of age and you must be free from arrest/incarceration for a period of 10 years. Assuming you do not meet this criteria, you will not be able to have your record expunged.

2. You should consult with and retain an attorney to advise you on gun ownership. You could also explore a governor's pardon if you have sufficient reasons.

Civil rights topics