Black Powder Firearms

Asked over 3 years ago - Lebanon, PA

I live in Pennsylvania, and I understand that contrary to federal law, Pennsylvania considers black powder muzzleloaders firearms.

I have no felonies, but in 1996 I entered a guilty plea to simple assault. On the bottom of my docket I payed 10 dollars to "Domestic Violence Compensation (Act 44 of 1988) I'm aware of the Lautenberg Amendment, and I have never tried to purchase a gun as a result of this conviction 15 years ago. I'm not looking to try and restore my federal gun rights. I would like to know if it's possible to have my record cleared in Pennsylvania, so that under federal law, I could at least own muzzleloaders. I'm going to assume that because I paid into the domestic violence compensation act, it's clearly a domestic violence related misdemeanor, and I will fail NCIS check

1. Forest Dean Morgan

1

1

Answered . Your question relates to expungement. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to expunge a criminal conviction in Pennsylvania unless you meet two very important criteria. You must be at least 70 years of age and you must be free from arrest/incarceration for a period of 10 years. Assuming you do not meet this criteria, you will not be able to have your record expunged.

2. Jason Kutulakis

Pro

1

Answered . You should consult with and retain an attorney to advise you on gun ownership. You could also explore a governor's pardon if you have sufficient reasons.