BK and outstanding restitution order

I am preparing papers for my Chapter 7 BK. I have debts which are dischargable and also nondischargable restitution. It seems that I should list the restitution as a debt, but would think it would look better if I tagged it somehow as nondischargable so it does not appear that I think it might be discharged. Perhaps there is a way. Thanks.

The court will ultimately determine whether your debts are dischargable. There is no need to tag or flag a debt beyond what is required by the forms.

The bankruptcy court wants to see all debts and wants them lumped together whether they are dischargeable or not -- the Court is well versed in sorting through debts and getting them all in the proper category. What seems like a thoughtful gesture to us can just be a bump that could end up delaying and/or costing you more.

Stephanie White
Simi Valley, CA

DISCLAIMER: The above is not legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship with the person posting the question or any person reading the above. There is no attorney-client relationship between any reader and this writer or her firm. These comments are not subject to any privilege protections. They are neither privileged nor confidential. The information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. Accordingly these comments cannot be relied upon as the law and the facts may differ from those with which the reader of this communication may be dealing.

The following disclosure is required pursuant to IRS Circular 230: unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt