Bk 7 discharged sept 2012/ house foreclosed 12/2012. I need to purchase a car but don't want it to effect the future house

Asked about 1 year ago - Lilburn, GA

1st priority is buying a house when I can, when will that be and can I purchase a car before that and still be able to buy a house after 2 or 3 year after bk7. Just need help knowing when I can or should do this.

1. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Pro

Answered . The bankruptcy itself will not cause you to be unable to purchase either, although it may take a while for your credit to rebound. I do know that many mortgage lenders will not lend until at least one year after the foreclosure, but there is no rule set in stone. As to whether or not a car would affect this, lenders for mortgages look primarily at income and debt ratio. Incurring debt on a car would affect the latter. I suggest speaking to a mortgage company to have them look at you for prequalification purposes before you finance a vehicle to see where you stand.

2. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

Answered . Those are questions for lenders, not lawyers, and are based on your other circumstances.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . None of your question is a legal one, as car and house lenders all make their own lending decisions.

Your 2012 house foreclosure will stop some lenders from loaning on a house for one to three years. And all lenders for the next ten years will know about the bankruptcy, and that may or may not affect borrowing and rates.