Bk 7 discharged sept 2012/ house foreclosed 12/2012. I need to purchase a car but don't want it to effect the future house

Lilburn, GA |

1st priority is buying a house when I can, when will that be and can I purchase a car before that and still be able to buy a house after 2 or 3 year after bk7. Just need help knowing when I can or should do this.

Those are questions for lenders, not lawyers, and are based on your other circumstances.

I didn't think so, I don't know the laws of bk 7. The when's and where's? When can I legally purchase a house or car? I know there's a time frame? I know a lawyer will not be able to tell me if I can or can't not purchase a house. But I need to know if and when I can legally do so? Thanks

None of your question is a legal one, as car and house lenders all make their own lending decisions.

Your 2012 house foreclosure will stop some lenders from loaning on a house for one to three years. And all lenders for the next ten years will know about the bankruptcy, and that may or may not affect borrowing and rates.

ATTORNEY GLEN ASHMAN 404-768-3509 . If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

The bankruptcy itself will not cause you to be unable to purchase either, although it may take a while for your credit to rebound. I do know that many mortgage lenders will not lend until at least one year after the foreclosure, but there is no rule set in stone. As to whether or not a car would affect this, lenders for mortgages look primarily at income and debt ratio. Incurring debt on a car would affect the latter. I suggest speaking to a mortgage company to have them look at you for prequalification purposes before you finance a vehicle to see where you stand.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL:, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt