Birth certificate spelling error??

Olympia, WA |
Filed under: Birth certificate

Requested my birth certificate because I somehow misplaced mine when I was 18. I've always known my middle name to be Lyn (only one "n"). I literally remember it from before grade school, because I somehow remember an old neighbors name being Lynn and thinking I was pretty cool because, not only is my first name really unique, I've got a cool twist on a common middle name, making it unique! My drivers license and my social security card both have only one "n". The birth certificate I just received is spelled with two! I know for a fact that my mom spelled it with only one. Is it possible the hospital or the recorders office (San Diego) made a mistake when printing this one? Maybe they thought it had been misspelled on the original document?How will I know, what could happen & what do I do?

You may need to address this issue in Ca. courts since the birth certificate was issued from Ca.. It's always difficult to amend a birth certificate -- lots of hoops to jump through.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

That makes sense.. Just not sure how to approach it.. I requested it because I need to get my passport within the next few weeks. How will it affect that and in the future?

Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

Sorry to say, it is probably unlikely that it will happen in the The wheels of Bureaucracies run very slowly. It takes weeks to get anything from Olympia and they won;t even let you request documents in person any more. Budget cuts across the board effect every state.

Which part are you referring to?

Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

Trying to get an amended copy of the birth certificate -- long process

First, don't worry about it. It is perfectly legal to use any name you like, and to spell it any way you like, except to commit fraud. However, it makes sense to have a legal document stating that your name is spelled the way you spell it. Rather then trying to change your birth certificate, which can be a challenge, I suggest you go to the Thurston County District Court and obtain an order changing your name from Lynn, as indicated on your birth certificate, to Lyn. It is simple to do yourself and inexpensive.

I have attached a link to the court's website about name changes.

So, even though my mom knows for a fact that she put it as Lyn on my original birth certificate, that's not what it really is? It wasn't just a typeo on San Diego's part? Also, as I Sid, my license and social security card both have it spelled correctly..

Paul Lanan Battan

Paul Lanan Battan

Lyn: I was suggesting a simple and fast way to address the discrepancy between the spelling on your birth certificate and the spelling that you have always used and that is on your other legal documents. However, if you want to invest the time in correcting the error on your birth certificate, explore this link to the California Department of Public Health: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/CorrectingorAmendingVitalRecords.aspx. Good luck.

Thank you.. I appreciate it

Birth certificate topics