Skip to main content

Birth certificate for green card interview

Los Angeles, CA |

I was born in China, and I am a naturalized US citizen. I filed i130 with my wife's i485 together to sponsor her green card. We received interview notice. The notice says I (us citizen) must bring birth certificate and passport , naturalization paper to enter the interview . I don't know what is is this foreign birth certificate for, but I still ordered from China . Today I got message from us post office, my package from china is lost. What I can do now? Is this really important ? My interview is in 7days, there is no time to reorder and receive in 6 days. Can I ask china emai me the scanned image and print it out to show immigration officer? Feel nervous . Thanks for any answer. God bless you!

When I file i130, the birth certificate is not must send required document from uscis instructions .

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Both my esteemed colleagues provided you with excellent advice. Take it.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Show the officer that you tried to obtain your birth record and see if they will accept a copy. If you are really nervous you should consider hiring an attorney to go to the interview with you.

  3. You need to show proof that you are a US citizen. Since you are a naturalized citizen, you need to show either your US passport or Certificate of Naturalization. Your birth certificate is not required. Your wife, however, should have hers at the interview. Good luck!

    DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to consult with your legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics