Bike riding child hit by car needed plastic surgery. Officer didn't thoroughly investigate, car not at fault. Can I fight it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oklahoma City, OK

Child was riding bike after school when teen driver, "Just didn't see her." Broke the bike frame in half. Police officer didn't ask to see the bike, question witnesses, etc. When, I first spoke to the officer, he stated, "Your insurance might say it's your daughter's fault for being in the street." His report reflects that opinion. The insurance adjustor representing the driver said to me, "It sounds like your daughter hit the car not the car hit your daughter," after speaking with the driver's mother (who wasn't on the scene at all). My daughter was bleeding from her mouth and required plastic surgery (50 stitches). She lost a chunk of her lip (pea size). Dr had to reconstruct. Do we have grounds to fight this?

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, it is likely you can recover from the driver with a good lawyer. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Sagi Shaked

Pro

4

Answered . Yes you can fight it. Since the officer did not see the accident, his ticket is not admissible in the civil case.

3. Farid Yaghoubtil

4

Answered . I'm sorry for what happened to your child. Find a personal injury attorney in your area immediately. Their excuse sounds like telling someone that "your face hit my fist, not the other way around."

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.
  4. David B Pittman

Pro

4

Answered . Without question hire an attorney to help you with this.

5. Timothy Leo Bowden

3

Answered . you may. minor children are precious and there is a lot of sympathy for children on bikes. and depending on how bad the injuries are, the carrier may not want to chance it. but you need an attorney to look at this for you. contact one asap on this site locally.

6. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . Get a lawyer now!

7. Robert Bruce Kopelson

3

Answered . Hire a lawyer to investigate and see if the driver has liability for the crash. Cops often assume the fault of kid on a bike, and slant their investigation to support their opinion. Off icer wasnt there to witness, so his opinion is not likely admissible any way.

8. Clayton C. Griessmeyer

2

Answered . The facts of what happened are what matters, (where was the bicyclist riding, who had the right of way etc.) The police officer's opinion does not matter. I represented a bicyclist who was cited by the police for getting hit from behind by a driver and the driver was not cited at all. The jury found the driver 80% at fault. Some states have special rules for bicyclists and special rules for children. I reccomend contacting someone in your state who is familiar with bicycle laws and bicycle injury cases.