Bigamy Question: Husband didn't divorce wife in Morocco B4 Moving to USA where he married me - is this still considered bigamy?

Asked 11 months ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

He was born (in 67) in and married in Morocco in (in 97). My husband emigrated to the US from Morocco in 2003 but had not officially divorced his wife. He has since married me legally in the state of FL. He had told me that he was divorced in Morocco, but I have since found out that he is still legally married in Morocco and he's never shown me ANY legal paperwork or divorce decree from Morocco. Being that the US cannot enforce Moroccan laws, and vice versa - is this still considered 'bigamy' in the United States - in the legal sense and could it be grounds for me seeking an annulment as he deceived me about his prior marriage status? Also, he has not yet applied for US Citizenship but wishes to, could this affect the outcome of his application?

1. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

6

1

Answered . yes

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

4

2

Answered . Yes - being married previously will bring into play bigamy and possible annulment. I would recommend you consult with local counsel to discuss further.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

4

1

Answered . Your marriage to him is void, a nullity, and you can seek an annulment. You should hire an attorney for this.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  4. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

4

Answered . Yes. This is an issue that you really need to speak with an attorney about.

5. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

4

Answered . Yes - seek help.

6. Cindy S. Vova

2

1

Answered . Yes and yes. You should consult with local family law counsel to help get you out of this mess. An immigration attorney can help you with the other matter, but he is not legally married to you he cannot use you as his wife to obtain residency in the U.S.

7. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . Yes, absolutely it is bigamy.