BIGAMY IN TX

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My husband resides and has married another woman in TX. What is the penalty for bigamy in TX? And does the second marriage get dissolved? Can I claim financial reimburement for mortage and car payments?

1. Amanda Michelle Webb

Pro

Answered . It is a 3rd degree felony. He will be looking at a minimum of 2 years and a maximum on 10 years in prison and up to a $4,000.00 fine.

Your marriage will not automatically dissolve. I would talk with an attorney that handles family law about the other legal questions that you asked.

2. Fran Brochstein

Answered . I agree with the other attorney that answered.

Neither marriage automatically "dissolves". The second could actually become valid if the first marriage ends for some reason - divorce or death of the first wife. It is complicated so I suggest that you consult with an experienced family law attorney in person.

Since bigamy is a crime it is up to the district attorney to file charges against him. It's not up to you to handle this matter.