Skip to main content


Houston, TX |
Filed under: Criminal charges

My husband resides and has married another woman in TX. What is the penalty for bigamy in TX? And does the second marriage get dissolved? Can I claim financial reimburement for mortage and car payments?

Attorney Answers 2


It is a 3rd degree felony. He will be looking at a minimum of 2 years and a maximum on 10 years in prison and up to a $4,000.00 fine.

Your marriage will not automatically dissolve. I would talk with an attorney that handles family law about the other legal questions that you asked.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


I agree with the other attorney that answered.

Neither marriage automatically "dissolves". The second could actually become valid if the first marriage ends for some reason - divorce or death of the first wife. It is complicated so I suggest that you consult with an experienced family law attorney in person.

Since bigamy is a crime it is up to the district attorney to file charges against him. It's not up to you to handle this matter.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics