Big sanctions...

Asked almost 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My attorney got me sanctions when she didn't respond to a discovery request. She changed her office address and didn't update her new address with the court. The discovery request was sent to her old address and was never responded to. The sanctions were put on both her and I. I cannot afford to pay the sanctions at this time. The case is ongoing and will be going to trial. what should i do? are sanctions dis-chargeable in BK?

1. Pamela Koslyn

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . I'd require your lawyer to pay these sanctions, since this was entirely her fault, which she should have told the judge when opposing the motion. Does your fee agreement address who's responsible for sanctions?

You shouldn't have to file for bankrupcty protection over this, but if this isn't your only debt and you don't think you can pay off your existing debts within 5 years, then you should consult a bankrupcty lawyer.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Koslyn's response and response to your comment. The sanctions as well as any monetary obligation you might owe if you lost the case going to trial (unless the lawsuit is based upon fraud or an intentional tort) would be dischargable in bankruptcy.