Bicycle theft in shared office space? Who should be responsible? My employer or the shared office space?

San Francisco, CA |

I worked in a shared office in San Francisco. Over the weekend, someone had broke in and stole my bicycle along with other items in the office. I am wondering who here would be deemed responsible? Would it be my employer that is working out of the shared office space or the space leasor? If both companies does not have insurance coverage for crime, what can I expect for compensation?

Thank you !

I hope you have renters insurance because neither is responsible for the theft and will not compensate you.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

On these facts, I tend to agree with my colleague. However, it is not clear if you were required to have this bicycle for work- or why it was on the work premises. If someone there, at the work premises, is reimbursed for stolen items, they may pay you for the bike. More likely is that there will be no insurance for this.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

Recommended articles about Real estate