Between religious asylum ,and Marriage green card ,which one would be a better option?

Asked over 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

Im from a muslim country ,came to US as a student, converted to christianity and my family stopped supporting me ,and wanting me to go back to the native country in middle east, As you may know there is a death sentence by goverment in Islamic countries, also i am now living with my girl friend ,and want to get married after she finishes her bankruptcy( which she hasnt started the process yet) , so i can file for asylum or wait for marriage , but i dont know which one is the better option for me ,please help

Additional information

i couldnt go to school ,cause my family stopped supporting me ,and i have been in US 4 months now

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You should only file for asylum in your are indeed afraid for to return. You should seek immigration benefits on a marriage only if it is bona fide. As far as the conversion case is concerned, depending on the "Muslim country" your fear, if you have any may or may not be reasonable. To answer this question in a more definitive way, you need see an immigration attorney in person. Please find one on AVVO and select. Immigration is federal so professionals from all over the country may serve as your attorney. Good like

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I'm sorry to hear about your situation with your parents.

    Given that you do not know when your girlfriend will be ready to move forward with your plans for marriage you should probably seriously pursue asylum. You have to apply for asylum within the first year of being in the US and so time is of the essence. Asylum law is complex so it would be advisable for you to seek help from an attorney. If you can't afford one, try non profit immigration organizations that do work in the area of humanitarian relief.

    Marrying a USC is a fast way to receive status but your marriage must be bona fide and not for the purposes of immigration. You should talk to your girlfriend about how long the bankruptcy process will take, and whether she actually wants to get married for legitimate reasons to you.

    Adding to this, your current status (or lack there of) could be an issue.

    Consult with an immigration attorney privately as soon as possible to figure out what the best option will be.

    Good luck!

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Options depend on facts. You really need to meet one on one with an experienced immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, so that he/she can review all your documents and facts in order to determine what your options are.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your options would be best discussed with an attorney who can advise you re the law. Asylum is only for persons who meet the requirements under the statute such as well founded fear of persecution and there are severe consequences for filing frivolous asylum applications. Be very careful with this. Consult with an attorney to make sure you have a valid claim based on a statutorily enumerated ground. You also need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible to determine if you've violated your F-1 student status. Seek help immediately.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,278 answers this week

3,261 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,278 answers this week

3,261 attorneys answering