Best way to prove a restrainning order is bougas

Asked about 1 year ago - Spring Valley, MN

daughter filed charges for demostic volience against me and i did nothing she was mad and her mom coached her into filling them against me

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Andrew M. Leone

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The best way is to hire a good lawyer. If you challenge the Order for Protection, then there will be a court hearing in which witnesses are called to testify and other evidence could be presented. You can do this on your own; however, most likely you will have better odds at success if you are represented by an attorney.

  2. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You must make the argument that you either did not commit the acts alleged or that the acts alleged do not constitute domestic abuse as defined under the statute. These are issues of evidence and if it comes down to it, the credibility of both you and your daughter's mother. You are entitled to a hearing at which you can put on your case to convince the judge that an OFP should not be issued.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more
  3. Maury Devereau Beaulier

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A fifth degree assault can be very serious. It requires that you acted with an intent to harm someone or that the other person was in reasonable apprehension of physical harm from an act.

    A fifth degree assault is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine. However, the collateral consequences of a conviction are extremely significant and, arguably, more severe than the criminal penalties themselves. As a result, it is extremely important to protect your public and criminal record.

    First, if convicted of a fifth degree assault or any assault offense, employers who require a background check will not hire you. That is particularly true if you work closely with customers or in some other service oriented profession.

    Second, many landlords now perform background checks for applicants and, if you decide to rent, you may be denied an apartment with a crime of violence such as an assault on your record.

    Third, a conviction for assault may result in licensing problems for certain occupations or interfere with acceptance into some schools of higher learning.

    Finally, it is also compelling that a non-citizen may suffer deportation and, even a citizen would lose their right to possess a weapon ,even for hunting purposes, after a conviction.

    Often, the best defense is a good offense. In most instances, an argument for self defense may be made and Motions should be served to acquire all statements and medical records from the prosecution. Often, with skilled legal representation jail time and convictions can be avoided.

    You must retain experienced counsel. Review the credentials of attorneys on this site for the years of experience and recommendations before sitting down to discuss your case.

    CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client... more
  4. Tricia Dwyer

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Hello. I urge you to have attorney assistance in proving that the claims are 'bougas'. Any Minnesota licensed attorney may assist you in the event you reside in a remote area. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

    Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
    Phone: 612-296-9666

    Twin Cities - St. Cloud,, Minnesota licensed attorney, Tricia Dwyer, Esq.: Phone 612-296-9666. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE... more
  5. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . There's no one right answer to this problem. It depends on the circumstances of the case. You need to consult with an attorney in private. They can advise you on how to use the civil discovery process to carefully analyze the accusations made against you, and present evidence to undermine them. Without knowing the allegations or surrounding facts, it's impossible to be specific - but you shouldn't post these details in public on the internet.

    One important point: don't assume that anyone will take for granted your claim that the accusations are "bogus." You will need to be able to present evidence to substantiate your claims. If you just go in there and call your daughter and her mother "liars," you will almost certainly lose.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,929 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,929 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering