Best way to handle license suspension in florida but living out of state (ri) for child support

Asked almost 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

i live in ri need to reinstate lic so i can get ri lic have a purge and owe back child support just started new job need drivers lic

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas Klemens Almquist

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I'm not clear on what the problem is but I'll try to answer it.
    It sounds like you are living in Rhode Island, but owe child support and that back child support is causing your license to be suspended in Florida. And RI won't give you a license because of FL.
    If this is correct you need to contact the clerk of courts in the county in FL this is coming from, and see if you can set up a payment plan. They may let you, they may not.
    If you also have an unpaid speeding ticket that is causing a similar problem, you would need to do the same thing. If these are in different counties, you'd have to contact different clerk's of courts.
    A lawyer in FL could help you with all of this.

  2. William David Umansky


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . you need to pay the child support.

    Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or... more
  3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is in the Speeding Ticket practice area. I suspect, though, that your license was suspended for non-payment of child support. If so, you may want to change the practice area to "Family" or "Child Support" to get answers from lawyers more familiar with your problem.

    If the problem is a traffic ticket that hasn't been paid, pay the ticket.

    If it is Child Support, you need to work out payment arrangements and get the agreement of whoever is trying to collect the child support to allow you to get your license. That agreement may or may not be forthcoming depending on your history. A Florida lawyer may be able to make this happen more easily.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- DUI/DWI/Drugged Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison Wisconsin

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

    There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.
    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. See link below for more.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,353 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,353 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering