Skip to main content

Best type of business entity for a security guard and investigations company in state of TX for two owners/managers?

San Antonio, TX |

Should it be an LLC or straight corporation? If an LLC, the election to report earnings can be reported on Forms 1040, 1065, 1120 or 1120 S??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I would need more information before I could offer a firm opinion. In general, an llc works well for smaller entities.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 Additional Offices in Massapequa, NY, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.


More information is definitely needed. You should contact an attorney and schedule an appointment for further discussion.

Best of luck to you. It's good to see people starting new businesses.

The above statements are provided as general information and not intended as legal advice. Each matter has its own set of unique circumstances that cannot be adequately addressed without consultation. You are strongly advised to hire an attorney licensed to practice law in your state to represent you.


You will not get anything other than a guess unless you consult with an experienced business lawyer and provide him your business plan. The entity currently preferred for small businesses is the limited liability company (LLC). But, do not create it yourself. You will not address all of the issues. You will end up with a Certificate of Formation but nothing more. Often, but not always, we advise that the LLC choose to be taxed as a corporation and then elect Subchapter S tax status. That avoids double taxation. You will need a good CPA too. The activities you list require licensing by the State.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer