Best friends father's, father passed away. Will was given to will executor. Son never saw will or received anything. What to do?

Asked 11 months ago - Albany, OR

My best friends father's father(grandfather) passed away about a year ago. The grandfather had stated that they were in the will, but neither of them contacted or saw the will. The executor, is my best friends fathers brother. The Brothers do not get along. The grandfather passed away in Riverside, CA. His ranch was recently sold by his brother. We don't know if it went into probate or if we can do something to see the will. What can be done? Who can we contact? Thanks.

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

5

1

Answered . Your best friend needs to contact a probate attorney in the same CA county where grandfather passed away.

2. Joshua Pond

3

1

Answered . Where was grandad domiciled? This and where his estate is being managed will matter a great deal in terms of options. For example, in some states probate is all but mandatory and there may be proceedings already filed, while in other states, like here in Oregon, probate is only done if someone seeks it and takes the matter to court. In other words, your options and first steps will depend a great deal on the specifics of the case. Call a local probate attorney for advice. If you don't know of any, feel free to contact me and I'll point you in the right direction.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should be able to look on the public records to see if the will has been filed and a probate
    case started.
    You can also check the public records to see if the deed of the ranch was transferred to a trust.