Best decision to handle a consumer fraud outcome?

Asked about 2 years ago - Ontario, CA

I signed an retainer agreement to hired a attorney to handle my consumer fraud (auto) case, since then I haven't recieved an reply from my attorney but the car dealership was willing to cancel the contract and return my vehicle I traded in. I have tried contacting my lawyer but no response due to it's on a weekend.

What should I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jessica Farrah Anvar


    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Definitely attempt to reach your attorney. If you settle with the dealership without the involvement of your attorney, you may be in breach of your retainer agreement and then responsible to pay for your attorneys fees and costs. It sounds like the car dealership is trying to settle your claim without involving your attorney (possibly so that the dealership will not have to pay any legal fees). Since you hired a lawyer to represent you, you should make great effort to have your lawyer involved.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You don't indicate when the dealership offered to cancel the contract and return your trade in. Presumably in was within the last day or so? It would be reasonable to ask the dealership to contact your lawyer on Monday to finalize the settlement.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Scott Richard Kaufman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . How do you know the dealer wants to cancel? Most attys in this area will ask dealer to only speak with their offices.

    How does the dealer know you are going after it with counsel? Likely a letter has been drafted and sent for you. If so, it sounds like dealer is trying to go around the attorney and settle directly with you, costing the atty money/time for making this happen.

    I'd recommend that you give counsel another try via email, phone and fax and update your attorney on what is going on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,168 answers this week

2,987 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,168 answers this week

2,987 attorneys answering