Best action for "no-fault" insured vehicle accident in "fault" state?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Riverside, CA

I just moved to California and do not own a car. I borrowed my friends car and was involved in a fender bender in stop-n-go traffic. My friend insured her car in Florida with Geico. Geico is covering the other vehicle's damage, but will not cover the occupants injury. They did not have adequate insurance and now their company (esurance) is trying to collect from me. I am a student and don't have the $30,000 that they are claiming. What is the best action for me to take?

1. David Vincent Hiden

Pro

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . As the other attorney mentioned, refer Esurance to Geico and you should ask for an explanation in writing. From the facts you mentioned, it appears your owner had minimal insurance compared to above limits damages from the other car. If that is the case, the other car's underinsured motorist coverage kicked in and they will pursue you. If this happens, I would not agree to pay anything as bankruptcy might by your best option, depending on other debts, financial situation, etc..Call me, free of charge, to discuss further. Dave Hiden 619 296 5884. tx.

2. Frank Marvin Nunes

7

1

Answered . Refer the Esurance people to Geico. If Geico is denying the claim, as they put it in writing with a full explanation of the reasons for denial.

3. Gary A Kester

6

Answered . You didnt say how the accident happened so I cant say if your at fault or not. I agree with the other attorney that responded. If the insurance company wants to take the position that there is no insurance or inadaquate insurance they need to do so in writing. Then you will likely need to take the insurance policy and their letter to an attorney and see if they are correct. Talk to your family, see if your a named insured on any of their policies, there may be coverage there. Good luck