Best action for "no-fault" insured vehicle accident in "fault" state?

Asked over 2 years ago - Riverside, CA

I just moved to California and do not own a car. I borrowed my friends car and was involved in a fender bender in stop-n-go traffic. My friend insured her car in Florida with Geico. Geico is covering the other vehicle's damage, but will not cover the occupants injury. They did not have adequate insurance and now their company (esurance) is trying to collect from me. I am a student and don't have the $30,000 that they are claiming. What is the best action for me to take?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Vincent Hiden


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . As the other attorney mentioned, refer Esurance to Geico and you should ask for an explanation in writing. From the facts you mentioned, it appears your owner had minimal insurance compared to above limits damages from the other car. If that is the case, the other car's underinsured motorist coverage kicked in and they will pursue you. If this happens, I would not agree to pay anything as bankruptcy might by your best option, depending on other debts, financial situation, etc..Call me, free of charge, to discuss further. Dave Hiden 619 296 5884. tx.

    Legal disclaimer: Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship;... more
  2. Frank Marvin Nunes

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Refer the Esurance people to Geico. If Geico is denying the claim, as they put it in writing with a full explanation of the reasons for denial.

    If you are a potential client, the information you disclose to us by email will be kept in strict confidence and... more
  3. Gary A Kester

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You didnt say how the accident happened so I cant say if your at fault or not. I agree with the other attorney that responded. If the insurance company wants to take the position that there is no insurance or inadaquate insurance they need to do so in writing. Then you will likely need to take the insurance policy and their letter to an attorney and see if they are correct. Talk to your family, see if your a named insured on any of their policies, there may be coverage there. Good luck

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more

Related Topics

Damages for personal injuries

Damages in personal injury cases generally compensate victims for their losses, but some damages are also meant to punish the injurer.

William J. Driscoll

Wrongful Death 101 (Kentucky)

Statute of Limitations: Wrongful death cases must be filed within 2 years of the date of death, but no later than one year from the appointment of the executor or administrator in probate... more

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,417 answers this week

3,602 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,417 answers this week

3,602 attorneys answering