Besides hiring a lawyer, what do you do to prepare before notifying the spouse of filing for divorce.

Asked about 5 years ago - Dallas, TX

What things should one get in order before serving notice or telling a spouse of the intent to file for divorce and custody of children?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Familiarize yourself with the rules of divorce. Dallas County District Clerk's website has a downloadable copy of the local orders that will apply as soon as the divorce is filed. Make copies of all important papers and secure all valuable property so that it cannot be removed. Be sure your health insurance is protected and valid. Prepare a plan for letting friends and family know. Prepare a backup at work - divorce is disruptive to efficiency. Finally, think about counseling to avoid it all together if possible. Good luck, and do hire an experienced family lawyer.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Serving divorce papers

Service of process in divorce is the official term for notifying the defendant spouse that a divorce petition was filed with the court.

Avvo Staff

I Want a Divorce, But I Can't Find My Spouse

If you've been separated from your spouse for an extended period of time, you might decide to take the next step and file for divorce. But what happens if you've lost track of your spouse... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,732 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,732 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering