Being that the age of consent in PA is 16, how many years of jail time can the adult face for engaging in underage sex?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

If the adult has consensual sex with a minor who is 16...what are the possible penalties that they would most likely have to deal with?

1. Peter Charles Amuso

4

Answered . It depends on the criminal history of the defendant, and the facts and circumstances of the case. The crime of Corruption of Minor (sexual nature) has an Offense Gravity Score of 5. According to the sentencing guidelines, if you have no prior offenses, you could get 9-18 months in the county jail, or you could get just probation or anything in between.

If you have a prior record, you are likely looking at county jail time, but again, the facts and the circumstances are very important to where the judge falls on the sentencing guidelines.

2. David William Gross

4

Answered . Although 16 is the age of consent, it sounds like you already know that you can still face criminal liability. Corruption of a minor is still a crime that can lead you to serious jail time. How much? As with most things, the answer is -- it depends.
    My colleague has already set forth the details re: the sentencing guidelines and some possible sentences.
    You should know that - if an accusation is made, or if law enforcement gets involved, your ability to control the situation vanishes immediately. With that in mind, I think the best advice is to avoid the risk altogether.

3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

1

Answered . You should talk with a criminal defense lawyer in your area if you:

(1) have been accused of corruption of a minor or statutory rape by the minor or a relative or the police, or

(2) you are contemplating having sex with such a minor.

Remember that corrupting minors is not limited to sexual intercourse!