Skip to main content

Being sued on a Private debt of 90,000 and so is my mother she was a cosigner and is on disability? Can someone help?

Houston, TX |

I need help I already pay 262.00 on a private student loan another of 50.00 and my federal loans which change every year due to income based and now this creditor wants 462.00 for 5 years and 500.00 for the following next five years, I need help I live in Houston and I am self employed music teacher trying to survive. If anyone in Houston can help me or guide me what to do I will appreciate it, I have a court date on January and are being sued as well. I need a lawyer who is up to date on these laws, I owe 114,000 in Federal Loans and 22,000 Private 90,000 Private
Please help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You need to find a Bankruptcy Attorney right away. There are many attorney who practice in your area on Avvo, Do a search right away.


Bankruptcy won't discharge the student loan debt. But, bankruptcy may help you reorganize your debt obligations and stave off creditors for awhile. But bankruptcy is not cheap.

You are better served by budgeting and planning to pay the debts that you owe, and avoiding bankruptcy altogether. Most creditors will work out a payment plan. But, make sure that the creditor is the one to whom you owe money. Make sure that the payment plan makes sense, and will actually pay down the debt.

Incidentally, that is a lot of student debt. What were you thinking? How were you planning to pay that much back?

Good luck.


You should also look into non-bankruptcy student loan consolidation programs to see if they can be of any help.


You should also consider contacting Avvo and asking them to remove your personal phone number--this is a public website--open to any around the world--your personal information here may attract any number of kook, nuts, SCAM artists and all manner of undesired responses.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


flagged for presence of personal information

Stuart Bradley Handelman

Stuart Bradley Handelman


Great point.


You may have defenses to this lawsuit. Filing for Bankruptcy may be an option but there are non-bankruptcy options.

My comments are not legal advice and are for informational purposes only.


Student loans are hard to discharge. If you are self employed, they will not be able to garnish your wages. They are looking to lien up on bank accounts. If would consider a chapter 13 if you want more time.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer