Being sued on a Private debt of 90,000 and so is my mother she was a cosigner and is on disability? Can someone help?

Asked 12 months ago - Houston, TX

I need help I already pay 262.00 on a private student loan another of 50.00 and my federal loans which change every year due to income based and now this creditor wants 462.00 for 5 years and 500.00 for the following next five years, I need help I live in Houston and I am self employed music teacher trying to survive. If anyone in Houston can help me or guide me what to do I will appreciate it, I have a court date on January and are being sued as well. I need a lawyer who is up to date on these laws, I owe 114,000 in Federal Loans and 22,000 Private 90,000 Private
Please help!

1. Brian W. Erikson

Pro

7

Answered . Bankruptcy won't discharge the student loan debt. But, bankruptcy may help you reorganize your debt obligations and stave off creditors for awhile. But bankruptcy is not cheap.

You are better served by budgeting and planning to pay the debts that you owe, and avoiding bankruptcy altogether. Most creditors will work out a payment plan. But, make sure that the creditor is the one to whom you owe money. Make sure that the payment plan makes sense, and will actually pay down the debt.

Incidentally, that is a lot of student debt. What were you thinking? How were you planning to pay that much back?

2. Michael Wayne Weston

Pro

6

Answered . You may have defenses to this lawsuit. Filing for Bankruptcy may be an option but there are non-bankruptcy options.

My comments are not legal advice and are for informational purposes only.
  3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

5

Answered . You should also consider contacting Avvo and asking them to remove your personal phone number--this is a public website--open to any around the world--your personal information here may attract any number of kook, nuts, SCAM artists and all manner of undesired responses.

4. Christine B. Adams

Pro

4

Answered . You need to find a Bankruptcy Attorney right away. There are many attorney who practice in your area on Avvo, Do a search right away.

5. Stuart Bradley Handelman

Pro

4

Answered . You should also look into non-bankruptcy student loan consolidation programs to see if they can be of any help.

6. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Student loans are hard to discharge. If you are self employed, they will not be able to garnish your wages. They are looking to lien up on bank accounts. If would consider a chapter 13 if you want more time.