Skip to main content

Being sued for hoa fees and is getting a divorce. how do i get them to garnish my wife's check as well?

Herndon, VA |

Real estate law specifically being sued for HOA fees

Attorney Answers 1


The answer to your question depends on several factors. For instance, if your wife owns the house with you or is on the HOA account, then the association would probably sue both of you. Even if the association sues just you, you may be able to add your wife as a third party defendant to the lawsuit. However, if you have a separation agreement or other court order from your divorce about who is liable for this bill, you may have other options. For example, she may be in contempt of a court order for failing to pay. Or if you assumed liability for this debt as part of a divorce, then your options might be more limited.

You should contact an attorney to review this matter as soon as possible, especially if you have already been served with court papers.

This information is not intended as legal advice or to form an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics