Being sued for a dog bite (240K plus), homeowners insurance unable to disclose sum or case, what are my options?

Riverside, CA |

My son was 9 yrs old and husband was inside garage working when neighbor son came inside and went to the backyard with my son. Dog excited jumping up scratched his face, no blood seen by spouse, 14yrs old ran out to mom saying he was invited by my son. Mother called animal control and they investigated and quartined my dog. So home insurance unable to settle with mom and know they have served us and were unsure of our legal options & responsibility?

Your insurance company will defend the case by hiring you an attorney. The will also settle within your policy limits. You have an absolute right to know what they are claiming in the lawsuit, and the lawyer will explain it all to you once he or she gets the case from the insurance company. If you are concerned that the amount of damages exceeds your policy limits, you can hire a private attorney to shadow the attorney hired by the insurance company, but frankly, based on what you describe, I don't think its necessary.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Let your insurance carrier defend the case for you. That's why you have them.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

I doubt that a scratch on the face, especially if it was from a friendly greeting is not going to hurt you personally. Let the insurance company and their attorneys worry about it.

I agree with all my colleagues. Let your insurance handle the case. If they send you a letter of reservation of rights, then get an attorney right away. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

The insurance company will provide a lawyer to defend.

You need to turn the summons and complaint over to your homeowners insurance carrier. They will appoint an attorney to defend you in the legal case. Once you know who the attorney is, I suggest you schedule a face-to-face meeting to review the entire situation. While the attorney will be paid by your carrier, the attorney has a duty to you. Your attorney will answer all of your questions and, if the attorney does not, you should file a complaint with the State Bar.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Animal law topics