Being sued by Capital One, What Should be my next step?

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I received a phone call yesterday, the person wanted to verify if i still lived at my old address. I asked what the call was concerning, and he proceeded to tell me that Capital One was suing me in Clark county courts. and that he needed to serve me. I informed him, that i no longer live in the state. He hung up. I got online and verified with the courts and yes, i did find the complaint.I moved out of Vegas 3 years ago. Should i respond even tho i wasn't served? I have tried to settle with them in the past but they refused payment options that i could afford.

1. Howard Robert Roitman

Answered . THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT
    As amended by Public Law 104-208, 110 Stat. 3009 (Sept. 30, 1996)

To amend the Consumer Credit Protection Act to prohibit abusive practices by debt collectors.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end thereof the following new title:

TITLE VIII - DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES [Fair Debt Collection Practices Act]

Sec.
    801. Short Title
    802. Congressional findings and declaration of purpose
    803. Definitions
    804. Acquisition of location information
    805. Communication in connection with debt collection
    806. Harassment or abuse
    807. False or misleading representations
    808. Unfair practice
    809. Validation of debts
    810. Multiple debts
    811. Legal actions by debt collectors
    812. Furnishing certain deceptive forms
    813. Civil liability
    814. Administrative enforcement
    815. Reports to Congress by the Commission
    816. Relation to State laws
    817. Exemption for State regulation
    818. Effective date

§ 801. Short Title [15 USC 1601 note]
    This title may be cited as the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act."

§ 802. Congressional findings and declarations of purpose [15 USC 1692]
    (a) There is abundant evidence of the use of abusive, deceptive, and unfair debt collection practices by many debt collectors. Abusive debt collection practices contribute to the number of personal bankruptcies, to marital instability, to the loss of jobs, and to invasions of individual privacy.

(b) Existing laws and procedures for redressing these injuries are inadequate to protect consumers.

(c) Means other than misrepresentation or other abusive debt collection practices are available for the effective collection of debts.

(d) Abusive debt collection practices are carried on to a substantial extent in interstate commerce and through means and instrumentalities of such commerce. Even where abusive debt collection practices are purely intrastate in character, they nevertheless directly affect interstate commerce.

(e) It is the purpose of this title to eliminate abusive debt collection practices by debt collectors, to insure that those debt collectors who refrain from using abusive debt collection practices are not competitively disadvantaged, and to promote consistent State action to protect consumers against debt collection abuses.

2. Robert Miller

1

Answered . If you have not been served with a summons and complaint, you do not need to subject yourself to the jurisdiction of the court by responding. On the other hand, the filing of a bogus proof of service is not unheard of, and it is worthwhile to continue to monitor the case online to see what the creditor is trying to do. If you have no valid defense to the case, you might just well do no more. If you do have a valid and meritorious defense to the case, you should consult with an experienced attorney with offices near the place where the case is pending and discuss the ramifications of appearing and defending.