Being sued 1 year after fender bender where I was at fault, what happens now?

I was involved in car accident about 1 year ago. I rear ended the car in front of me on an exit ramp. When we exchanged information, the other party I hit was in a rush to leave. No police report was filed, and the only info i got was the passenger's insurance. The driver was his brother but he didn't give me his info. After a few weeks, they filed a claim and my insurance claims adjuster said they would take care of everything. No word from my car insurance or from the other party since...until now. So what should i do? Apparently, my car insurance still says the claim is "pending". Does that mean my car insurance doesn't want to pay them? Am I going to have to file for bankruptcy? I think I'm being a bit dramatic but this is a first time for me, or my family to be involved in.

1. The terms of your automobile insurance policy likely dictate that in the event that a lawsuit is filed against you, your insurance company will provide you with legal representation. It's advisable, however, that you check the terms and conditions of your policy to confirm this, and relay any new or recent information to your claims adjuster.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this answer.

2. You will be fine. You had auto insurance at the time of the collision and in Texas, like most states, your auto insurance company will take care of this claim if it does not exceed the amount of your coverage (which probably is not the case here with a fender bender). If a lawsuit were filed your auto insurance company would hire an attorney to defend you in court. Just call your claims adjuster and ask him for a status check on the claim. You will be fine.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

3. Relax. If you had liability coverage, your insurance company will appoint a lawyer to defend you. The fact that your insurance company states the claim is pending does not indicate that they do not want to pay. You will not have to file for bankruptcy. To make you feel better, you may want to contact your adjuster and confirm that the insurance company will take care of your defense. Good luck.

This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. First and foremost, you will want to check the terms and conditions of your policy. Assuming it provides coverage for the accident, and that you had the appropriate liability coverage in place at the time of the accident, your insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney to undertake your defense.

You will want to make sure that your carrier is on notice of the lawsuit: I recommend forwarding the claims adjuster a copy of the complaint/summons via certified mail, return receipt requested. Stay in touch with your carrier, and make sure that they are aware of the pending suit and any upcoming deadlines in the case, until they undertake your defense..

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.