Being married 18 yrs. Husband never put my name to anything what are my rights.

Asked over 1 year ago - Oneonta, NY

In court for almost 2 yrs -He says he will fight till everything is gone. Please reply.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

6

Answered . You are entitled to equitable distribution of the marital assets. Any asset acquired during the marriage is marital. There are certain exceptions such as personal injury recovery, receipt of a gift or inheritance or owned prior to marriage. The title of the owner is irrelevant in determining if it is marital. Speak with an experienced divorce lawyer in your area for assistance.

2. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

3

5

Answered . You generally have lots of rights, but if you've been "in court for almost 2 years" you may have compromised some or all of them already. The only way to truly evaluate your rights, options and obligations at this point would be for you to have a confidential consultation with a local attorney who can review all the history of the case and all the relevant documents, etc. Good luck!

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . That is not a question that can be answered based on what you wrote. You need to consult with a matrimonial lawyer.

4. Deborah G. Fiss

2

Answered . To put this simply, in NY, just because your name doesn't appear on property that your husband acquired during the marriage in his name, does not mean you are not entitled to it.

In fact you could own up to 50% of the property so long as the source of the funds used to purchase it were from earnings during the marriage and not you husband's inheritance or proceeds from a law suit of his.