Being investigated for welfare fraud what is happening, what should i do

Asked over 2 years ago - Du Bois, PA

Guy showded up at my home said im being investigated. Asked about my kids dad. We are married and have kids but we have not lived together since 2 months after married. I dont know if i ever told them I was married cuz things went bad so fast. I have paid all bills on my own accept 2 for the past 2 years, and never recieved child support. I do not pay rent as I live in a home provided by family and I did not claim to pay rent. I am shocked and Im at a loss I dont know why im being investigated or what to do. I have not lied about income or bills, and the only ppl who live in my home are the ones I claimed. Should I just call and have them shut off my food and medical...I need it but i would rather have my kids live with parents than be treated like a criminal!

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

4

Answered . First, do not post any more information here. This is a public website which means anyone - including fraud investigators - can see what you post.

Second, do not talk to anyone else until you talk to an attorney. Anything you say to an investigator will come back to haunt you later - if they have questions, politely tell them you are not answering any more questions until you talk to an attorney.

if you cannot afford an attorney, call your local legal aid office and see if they can help.

Good luck to you.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

4

Answered . Hire an attorney as soon as possible. This is extremely serious business.

3. Brian S Wayson

3

Answered . Yes, as my esteemed colleague directed you should speak with an attorney and not to complete strangers here on the internet.

Generally, when you accept the state benefits you are also agreeing to pursue other sources of income you may have access to, such as child support. If you knew where the children's father was, etc. and did not help the state try to get child support payments from him to pay for the cost of the public benefits you were receiving then you might have a problem. The marriage has little if anything to do with it as he likely still owes child support whether there was a marriage or not.